Monday, November 24, 2008

One writer's view on the Bellydance Superstars ...

I came across this pair of articles from Wendy Liberatore, a reporter with the Daily Gazette in Schenectady, New York.

This one is a preview of the Superstars' performance in that area on Saturday night. There's some interesting background on the Superstars, mostly based on information gleaned from an interview with Miles Copeland. Petite Jamilla also is interviewed.

This one is a review of the show. Liberatore gives it high marks for the most part, but she does have some less than glowing things to say about the tribal performances and the general skill of Jillina as the lead choreographer. She also starts the review with what I interpreted as kind of a snarky statement: "Belly Dance Superstars is a cheesy name for a polished, flashy, almost-ready-for-Vegas spectacle."

Is it just me, or does that come off as unnecessarily mean-spirited?




1 comment:

Leyla Najma said...

Wow......is it mean spirited because this person spoke with no facts to back up thier statement or could it be that after it was all said and done, this is what the viewer/writer felt? I am a Superstar fan only to a point. I question what they represent and I question Miles Copelands motives. For dancers who have been dancng for years like myself, we expect excellence from any dancer called Superstar and yet I can tell you that I have many friends who can dance with the best of them including the Superstars. Remember that this is a dance form where knowng the right people and being in the right place can advance your career. It's called the entertainment industry.